If you're dealing with the law, criminal system or paying taxes you have the opportunity and often the legal right to do so in Welsh. If you're just seeking advice on legal or financial matters there is help and support available.


You have the right to communicate in Welsh with every police force and Police and Crime Commissioner in Wales, in person, over the phone and in writing.

Police forces and the Police and Crime Commissioner in Wales now have to conform with Welsh language standards. For more information on the exact services they are obliged to offer in Welsh visit the Welsh Language Commissioner’s website

Legal proceedings

You can use Welsh if you are a defendant, a witness, or are involved in any other way in legal proceedings in Wales.

If you wish to use Welsh in a court in Wales, other than a magistrates' court, you should tell the court at the earliest opportunity. In a magistrates’ court, it is helpful, but not essential, to tell the court in advance.

There are many solicitors who offer their services through the medium of Welsh, specialising in family law, health law, personal injury and much more. Take a look at Cyfreithwyr.com for more information.


Welsh can also be used in tribunals in Wales.

Jury service

If you are summoned to serve on a jury at any Crown Court in Wales, you will receive bilingual documents, which you must reply to. You can reply in Welsh and say that you would like all future communication to be in Welsh. You can take the juror’s oath, or affirm in Welsh.

Outside Wales

Outside Wales, the judge will decide whether or not to allow Welsh to be spoken in a court.  Where it is allowed, translation facilities will be arranged.

More information

Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunal Service helpline for Welsh speakers will answer general enquiries about using Welsh: 0800 212 368

Counsel General

More details on the role of the Counsel General, the Welsh Government’s Law Officer, are available on the Government’s website.

Accountants, Financial Advice and Income Tax

There are many private accountants and financial advisors across Wales who offer their services in Welsh.

For free financial advice in Welsh go to the Money Advice Service website, an independent company set up by the government.

For information about income tax in Welsh go to the Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs website. Every communication with them will be either bilingual or in the language of your choice, in person, in writing or over the phone.

You can also find financial advice and information on tax in Welsh on the Citizens Advice Bureau.


You can follow Welsh language instructions when withdrawing money from cashpoint machines.  Banks also offer other Welsh and bilingual services.  A list of the banks’ Welsh language phone lines is available on the Citizens Advice Bureau website.

Share this page

Sign up now to receive the latest news on Welsh events.

Back to top